Versent is a rapidly growing Cloud Consulting organisation, specialising in AWS. We have offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Singapore and have grown to nearly 300 people in just four years! We believe in bringing craftsmanship back to technology, because as technology artisans, we passionately care about the quality outcomes we leave behind.
We have some of the best techs in Australia, and we are currently looking to hire an experienced data engineer to join the team.
Our Data Engineers know their craft, and know it well. In addition we need you to have the right soft skills to listen to and understand other ideas, plus know and see the patterns from your experience across a variation of complex implementations.
Our Data Engineers exhibit the following behaviours;
- Ability to lead change with customers
- Focus on delivery and outcomes
- Delivery sprint tasks within the sprint
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Continually strive toward optimal extraction, transformation, loading and management of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies
- Has the experience to authentically tell the customer when something is an anti-pattern or will fail
- Can design Data Patterns for re-use and re-implementation (factory based approach)
- Workshops and agree technical approaches with team members and customers
- Can work in an enterprise-type environment and demonstrate the expected controls and processes adherence.
- Understand traditional and emerging data pipeline delivery as well as CI and CD processes
- Lead and mentor Data engineers
People wanting to become a Data Engineer at Versent have the following skills;
- From a development or operations background (or an existing DataOps Team)
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores
- Have experience with the AWS ecosystem (particularity Kinesis, Glue, Redshift, EMR, RDS, Aurora, DMS, etc…)
- Have exposure to the broader Hadoop and broader data warehouse ecosystems (Cloudera, Hortonworks, Exadata, Greenplum, Terradata, SAP Hana etc)
- Have some experience with industry leading ETL tools, Informatica, Talend
- Familiar with data modelling concepts
- Familiar with end user analytic tools such as SAS, Tableau, etc
- Can demonstrate what discipline looks like in the AWS ecosystem
- Advanced experience in one or many of the following programming languages – SQL, Python, Java, SCALA etc
Example Tasks for a Data Engineer;
- Participating in agile rituals (stand ups, planning sessions, retros, etc...)
- Working on stories and tasks
- Managing the `operations` of data - eg managing the stack as well as the jobs that run on it
- Conducting Code Reviews (PR's or Pair Programming)
- Conduct and Participate in Technical Spikes
- Take Ownership of their card moving to "done, done" which may include some ETL and Data Pipeline development, Infrastructure provisioning, DataOps, Security
At the core of what we do, we're an engineering company. We value our people more than commercials and put culture at the centre of everything.
We do weekly internal tech meetups with food and drinks, host game nights, organise Hackathons, pay for your AWS training and certifications, and other relevant certs (if it's something you want to do).
We have many social events, often supporting charity initiatives such as TourXOz and RUOK Day. We also have family functions such as lawn bowls, company picnics etc. We have a paid parental leave program.
We embrace the notion of Versent as a Family, working together to achieve outstanding success.
We have flexible working hours and a culture based on respect, trust and collaboration.
WHY WE'RE DIFFERENT
You know, work doesn't have to feel like work. In fact, we don't want it to. That's why we've cultivated an environment based on creativity. Because when people who care about their craft are given the freedom to explore possibilities without restriction, amazing things can happen.
No cool cliques, just hard-working humans generating ideas and devising solutions in a creative, collaborative work space. Professional but not corporate, we believe success is achieved through strong leadership (without interference from middle-management) and an autonomous working environment backed by the moral support of like-minded peers. This is a highly collaborative, supportive environment.
VERSENT VALUES AND BEHAVIOURS
- People: We believe in a positive team with family spirit, because life is to short for anything else.
- Customer: We create remarkable experiences for customers and treat them as you would wish to be treated.
- Quality: Be Artisans who care for their craft and lead change through continuous improvement.
- Reliability: Do what we say we will do when we say we will do it, every time.
- Transparency: Full disclosure, integrity and honesty in all things.
- Reciprocate: Give back and assist as much as possible, whenever possible.